Friday 23 April 2021




In 1825 Van Diemen Lands Company was granted significant land in the north-west of Tasmania for grazing of sheep and employees from England moved there in 1826. The venture failed as the extreme climate proved unsatisfactory for successful grazing of sheep and other livestock.  Originally called Circular Head by Bass and Flinders in 1798 its name was changed to Stanley after Lord Stanley the British Secretary of State for War & Colonies in 1842. The most distinctive feature of the town is “The Nut” a 150-metre-high volcanic outcrop. Stanley is 225 km from Launceston (three-hour’s drive) and about five hours from Hobart.  In 1835, the Van Diemen’s Land Company built ‘Highfield’ a residence on a hill over looking Stanley where management resided and this is open to the public. 

The town is lined with historical old cottages and buildings and one of them is Joe Lyons Cottage, the birthplace in 1879 of Joe Lyons, the first Tasmanian to become Prime Minister of Australia. There are a number of restaurants and cafes and a range of accommodation.

A good option for accommodation


The View Of The Nut And Town From Highfield
The Pub
Shops In The Street
Old Church
Houses And Shops
At The Base Of The Nut
Cemetery And Beach
The Chairlift Up The Nut
The Nut Details
FromThe Top
The Harbour
The Town From The Nut
The Nut As You Go Into The Town

Joe Lyons Cottage
Joe Lyons
Ship Inn


No comments:

Post a Comment